top of page

Community Safety Committee โ€“ Tuesday, February 6, 2024, 4pm

Updated: Feb 6

safety in school zones, school bus arm cameras, regulating short-term rentals

Meeting Location: Council Chambers, or electronically

All Committee Members Present [Morales - Chair, Nuttall, Thomson, Courser]

Also Present: Riepma, Nixon, Hamilton โ€“ Harris arrived a bit late, Kungl around 5:30

๐Ÿ—ฃ๏ธ๐Ÿ™๏ธ Public Meetings

  • Nil

๐ŸŽค๐Ÿ™‹ Open Delegations

  • Nil

๐Ÿง‘โ€๐Ÿซ๐Ÿ“Š Presentations

  • Nil

โ†ช๏ธ๐Ÿ“ฅ Referred Items

๐Ÿซ๐Ÿšธ Safety in School Zones

  • HELD by Courser

  • Discuss pedestrian and vehicular safety with representatives from the Simcoe County District School Board and the Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board, in alignment with data and reports received by the City in school areas

๐ŸšŒ๐Ÿ“ธ School Bus Arm Cameras

  • HELD by Courser

  • Correspondence from Municipality of Grey Highlands, June 21:

  • Take the correspondence under further consideration

  • Courser indicated she'd been trying to have conversations with the Province about this item, but unsuccessful to date, so wanted to add support to Grey Highlands's letter instead. Nuttall objected to sending a letter, suggested a deferral to enable the conversations first.

  • DEFERRED by Thomson - carried

๐Ÿ“๐Ÿ“‘ Advisory Committee Reports

๐Ÿง“โ™ฟ๏ธ Seniors and Accessibility Advisory Committee

๐Ÿ’ก๐Ÿ—ฃ๏ธ Items of Discussion

๐Ÿ’Œ๐Ÿค Establishing Consistent Stakeholder Invites

  • HELD by Nuttall

  • Sponsors: Courser, Morales

  • Notice:

  • invite City Traffic staff, Downtown Barrie BIA and Barrie Police Service to provide two presentations a year to the Community Safety Committee

  • the back-and-forth got rather convoluted, and no formal amendment was made, but in Morale's summary at the end, and confirmed by Cooke, the following addition was made:

  • invite the Simcoe County District School Board and the Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board to present three times per term (approx. every 16 months)

  • CARRIED, unanimously [assumed, Thomson attending via Zoom]

๐Ÿš—โš ๏ธ Implementation of Roadside Safety Measures Along Hurst Drive - Vicinity of 42 Gables Way (Ward 8)

๐Ÿšธ๐Ÿšถ Investigation of Installing a Crosswalk - Toronto and Park Streets (Ward 2)

  • HELD by Nixon [though later confirmed by Cooke that he could not hold, as he's not part of the Committee, so it was deemed to pass on consent]

  • Sponsor: Nixon

  • Notice:ย ย

  • direct Development Services Department to investigate the feasibility and approximate costs of installing a crosswalk at the corner of Toronto Street and Park Street and report back to the Active Transportation and Sustainability Committee

๐ŸŠโ›”๏ธ Pool Enclosure Fence

๐Ÿก๐ŸŽง Short Term Rentals

  • Sponsor: Hamilton

  • Notice:ย ย

  • direct Legislative and Court Services, in consultation with Economic and Creative Development, to investigate options to further regulate and enforce Short Term Rentals in order to reduce issues such as noise, waste and other concerns and report back to Community Safety

  • ask Police Services Board to provide correspondence concerning options for a tiered response by Barrie Police Service to address complaints concerning Air BnB's, especially if there are multiple complaints about an individual property

  • APPROVED on consent

๐Ÿ”๐Ÿชง Review of Sign Bylaw 2018-029 Provisions



Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page