top of page

General Committee – Wednesday, February 28, 2024, 7pm

Updated: Feb 29

regulating short term rentals, funding the Sadlon Arena expansion, moving forward on the old Fairgrounds CIHA, and lots more - a packed agenda!


Meeting Location: Council Chambers



🗣️🏙️ Public Meetings

  • Nil



🧑‍🏫📑 Presentations

  • Nil



⏸️⏯️ Deferred Business

  • Nil



📝📑 Reports of Reference, Advisory or Special Committees


🚸🚨 Community Safety Committee


🚗⚠️ Implementation of Roadside Safety Measures Along Hurst Drive - Vicinity of 42 Gables Way (Ward 8)


🚸🚶 Investigation of Installing a Crosswalk - Toronto and Park Streets (Ward 2)


🏊⛔️ Pool Enclosure Fence


🏡🎧 Short Term Rentals

  • APPROVED on consent

  • Notice:  https://barrie.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=12635223&GUID=29F84F79-CCD2-4A49-AC13-4DAA7F53BC3D

  • direct Legislative and Court Services, in consultation with Economic and Creative Development, to investigate options to further regulate and enforce Short Term Rentals in order to reduce issues such as noise, waste and other concerns and report back to Community Safety

  • ask Police Services Board to provide correspondence concerning options for a tiered response by Barrie Police Service to address complaints concerning Air BnB's, especially if there are multiple complaints about an individual property


🔍🪧 Review of Sign Bylaw 2018-029 Provisions


🚌📸 School Bus Arm Cameras

  • HELD by Thomson

  • Correspondence from Municipality of Grey Highlands, June 21:  https://barrie.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=12552170&GUID=93B0EEAE-B2CF-4B1D-8E6C-73717A0418D7

  • Defer this item to the next Community Safety meeting

  • Thomson had a question of process, asking whether, in light of a letter to the Minister of Transportation addressing this, this item needed to be held for the next Community Safety Meeting. The Clerk explained that the motion was, in fact, to defer the item to the next Community Safety Committee meeting.

  • CARRIED unanimously


💌🤝 Establishing Consistent Stakeholder Invites

  • APPROVED on consent

  • Notice:  https://barrie.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=12635167&GUID=3EA293A4-3D9C-4551-8CA7-17DA3251A36A

  • invite staff in the Development Services Department related to traffic calming, school zone cameras, etc., and the Barrie Police Service to provide two presentations a year to the Community Safety Committee on the same evening

  • invite the Downtown Barrie BIA to provide two presentations a year to the Community Safety Committee

  • invite the school boards to provide a presentation three times per term of Council to the Communitiy Safety Committee


💵🧑‍⚖️ Finance and Responsible Governance Committee


💰🧹 Community Project Fund Submission - Unity Community Clean-Up


🚫🎆 Public Consultation - Firework Restrictions in Residential Areas

  • HELD by Morales

  • Proposal by Kungl:  https://barrie.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=12635227&GUID=316EE3A2-1EAA-4623-A6FE-7BBF6ABA4ABC

  • Direct Access Barrie in consultation with Legislative and Court Services to conduct public consultations to obtain feedback on the restriction of fireworks in residential areas and report back to Finance and Responsible Governance, with up to $5000 being allocated from the Council Strategic Priorities Reserve to enable the design of an online and phone poll engagement

  • Morales said he'd held the item for separate vote, and had no further comment.

  • Kungl pointed out the staff's memo on the circulation list, and thanked them for the work done to provide more information and answer questions.

  • Nuttall, Thomson, Nigussie, Harvey, Harris and Morales all spoke against consulting the public, Riepma, Nixon, Kungl and Courser spoke in favour of public consultation.

  • It seems rather disingenuous for Morales to have held the motion and claim he had "no further comment", then speak extensively against the motion, as well as bring up a video on his phone he'd obviously prepared, and use it to accuse Kungl of being solely responsible for the current fireworks policy (it of course being a Council decision, of which he was part) and then spend a total of seven minutes speaking disrespectfully about not just the motion, but those supporting it. The accusations alone seem to go against the Code of Conduct.

  • FAILED [FOR: Riepma, Nixon, Kungl, Courser; AGAINST: Thomson, Nigussie, Harvey, Harris, Morales, Hamilton]


💰🏟️ Sadlon Arena Expansion

  • APPROVED on consent

  • Notice: https://barrie.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=12695214&GUID=6B070151-90EF-48A3-B6AB-81DB2576877F

  • increase the Municipal Accommodation Tax (MAT) from 4% to 6%, effective April 1, and direct the increase percentage to the future expansion of the Sadlon Arena

  • direct the Finance Department to create a Sadlon Arena Expansion Reserve to hold these funds

  • establish an agreement between the City and Tourism Barrie to determine the contributions from Tourism Barrie to the Sadlon Arena Expansion Reserve on an annual basis and report back to General Committee with the results of those negotiations




📑🗂 Staff Reports


🏘️🏢 Zoning Bylaw Amendment - 290 Cundles Road East (Ward 3)

  • APPROVED on consent

  • Report: https://barrie.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=12695154&GUID=AA1138DA-5C8C-4BAC-8E12-D08A2B7F9B03

  • Rezone from "Institutional" (I) to "Residential Multiple Dwelling Second Density with Site-specific Provision" (RM2 SP-XXX)

  • Special Provisions:

    • minimum front yard setback reduced to 3m (currently 7m)

    • maximum encroachment into front yard setback for awnings and canopies increased to 1.65m (currently 0.6m)

    • minimum rear yard setback reduced to 2.7m (currently 7m)

    • minimum south side yard setback reduced to 1.2m (currently 1.8m)

    • maximum building height increased to 12m for traditional block/cluster townhouse units (currently 10m)

    • maximum building height increased to 14.5m for stacked back-to-back townhouse units (currently 10m)

    • maximum gross floor area (GFA) increased to 105% (currently 60%)

    • maximum lot coverage increased to 40% (currently 35%)

    • minimum landscaped open space reduced to 31% (currently 35%)

    • maximum residential density increased to 79 units/ha for traditional and back-to-back block/cluster townhouse units (currently 40 u/ha)

    • minimum landscape buffer strip reduced to 1m width where a parking area with more than 4 parking spaces abuts the southern interior side lot line (currently 3m)

    • develop the lands according to the Conceptual Site Plan submitted


🛑🚗 Innisfil St. & Marshall St. All-Way Stop (Ward 8)


🛑🚗 All-Way Stop Cardinal Street and Hadden Crescent (Easterly Intersection) (Ward 3)


🚗🏎️ Mapleview Drive East Speed Limit Review (Wards 9 & 10)

  • HELD by Courser

  • Report: https://barrie.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=12695152&GUID=1244DDE6-7808-4207-80AA-61538BBC41D7

  • extend the 60km/h speed limit on Mapleview Drive East from Huronia Road to Yonge Street

  • Courser questioned why the various limits along that stretch of Mapleview were all being raised to 60km/h, instead of reduced to 50km/h, considering there were residential areas along some of this route

  • the explanation was that Mapleview was considered a major road, and having the higher limit would reduce the number of drivers cutting through the neighbourhood roads

  • CARRIED [FOR: Riepma, Nixon, Kungl, Thomson, Nigussie, Harvey, Harris, Morales, Hamilton; AGAINST: Courser]


🏘️🏢 Community Infrastructure and Housing Accelerator (CIHA) Order for 175 & 199 Essa Road and 50 Wood Street (Ward 8)

  • HELD by Harris

  • Report: https://barrie.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=12706191&GUID=B921A9B6-44FB-45CA-BE1C-A3744FAE17B4

  • ADDITIONAL Correspondence from Barrie Curling Club: https://barrie.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=12711679&GUID=0CF76760-758B-4953-A955-6A31E33CEAE0

  • Receive the report for information purposes

  • Direct Development Services to forward the required information to support the CIHA Order, to facilitate the zoning permissions needed for the future development of the property, with the following revisions:

    • land for a school(s) be identified on the Zoning Bylaw schedule

    • if the Simcoe County District School Board and the Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School board do not exercise the option to construct a school in this development, the land to be given to the City for parkland

  • AMENDMENT 1 by Harris

    • Add the following to the beginning of paragraph 2: "That in order to gain direction from the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, Ministry of Education and Ministry of Transportation" (then continue with existing paragraph)

    • Riepma argued that the City was in a much better position to move this project forward than the Province

    • CARRIED, unanimously

  • AMENDMENT 2 by Harris

    • Replace paragraph 2b with the following: "That if neither the Simcoe County District School Board and the Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board exercise the option to construct a school in this development, the land be conveyed at no cost to the City for the purpose of parkland, as part of the parkland dedication requirements."

    • CARRIED, unanimously

  • AMENDMENT 3 by Harris

    • To add the following paragraph after b, as c: "That the Province be requested to send the plans back to the City for Draft Plan and Site Plan approval."

    • CARRIED, unanimously

  • AMENDMENT 4 by Harris

    • That staff investigate the use of the rail spur extending from the Allandale Transit Hub to the subject property for the use by Barrie Transit for public transit purposes

    • CARRIED, unanimously

  • MOTION, as amended, CARRIED, unanimously


💰🏘️ Redwood Park Communities Inc. Interim Construction Financing

  • APPROVED on consent

  • Report: https://barrie.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=12695279&GUID=BE4DAF1A-1E73-4ECD-9540-4B5A2B51CE8F

  • Release the final $1M out of the $3M interest-free loan commitment, for a supportive housing project at 151/153 Lillian Crescent, with full repayment of t loan being the earlier of the completion of Redwood's capital contribution campaign or December 31, 2025

  • Require Redwood to continue to provide a monthly report to the City, outlining the construction schedule, costs, and documentation to support all draws being made for construction expenditures associated with the project


🚰📑 Water Operations Branch 2023 Drinking Water System Reports


🪧🚫 Request for Exemption from Sign Bylaw - 201 Fairview Road (Ward 8)


🪧✅ Request for Exemption from Sign Bylaw - 60 Mapleview Drive (Ward 7)

  • HELD by Harvey

  • Report: https://barrie.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=12695286&GUID=74F84B1F-25FF-4FF6-82B3-EBE33A241F56

  • Allow Barrie Lifestyle Inc.'s request to permit third party side panels

  • AMENDMENT by Harvey

    • To replace Section 1 with: "That notwithstanding Section 11.1.11.0.0 of Sign Bylaw 2018-029, the exemption request from Zelinka Priamo Limited on behalf of Barrie Lifestyles Inc. and Barrie Lifestyle II Inc. to permit third-party sign panels for products, services and facilities provided at 406 and 436 Bryne Drive to be contained on existing ground signs at the property municipally known as 60 Mapleview Drive West, Barrie be approved, given that the Bryne Drive properties are located immediately adjacent to 60 Mapleview Drive West on the same commercial block, function as a single commercial entity, with shared access points between the properties and the three properties are under the same ownership."

    • CARRIED unanimously

  • MOTION, as amended, CARRIED, unanimously


🚍🤝 Durham Region Transit Bus Trade



💡🗣️ Items of Discussion

  • Nil



📥🔄 Circulation List Referrals

📋✅ Strategic Plan KPIs (A1 from February 21 Circulation List)


🚍🧓 Barrie Transit - Free Seniors Service Update (A3 from Circulation List)




0 comments

Comments


Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page