top of page

City Council – Monday, June 6, 2022, 7pm

Updated: Jan 5

Renewing the Needle Collection Kiosk pilot for a year (with modified kiosks), changes to the meeting schedule, and addressing poverty and homelessness in the city.

📜📜 Confirmation of the Minutes

🏆🌟 Awards and Recognition

🏐🥇 Recognition of the Maple Ridge Secondary School Junior Girls Volleyball Team

  • Winners of the Junior Girls AAA Georgian Bay Secondary School Association (GBSSA) Volleyball Championship

🗣🎙 Deputations

👮🦹 Barrie Police Services Board - Pan Handling and Criminal Activity

🚰🧾 Tenant Water Billing

  • Emergency Deputation by Rob Hilton, A.G. Secure Property Management

📝🏘 Planning Committee Report

Section A

🏘🏢 Zoning Bylaw Amendment - 108, 116 and 122 Harvie Road (Ward 6)

  • Staff Report:

  • Application submitted by Jones Consulting Group on behalf of ASA Development Inc.

  • Rezone from "Residential Single Detached Dwelling First Density" (R1) to "Residential Multiple Dwelling Second Density with Special Provisions, Hold (RM2, SP-XXX, H-XXX), Residential Multiple Dwelling Second Density with Special Provisions, Hold (RM2, SP-YYY, H-XXX), and Residential Single Detached Dwelling Fourth Density with Special Provisions, Hold (R4, SP-XXX, H-XXX)

  • Special Provisions for 1st zone "Block 13"

  • reduce side yard setback to the daylighting triangle for the apartment dwelling

  • reduced front yard setback for the apartment dwelling

  • eliminate maximum gross floor area

  • reduce exterior side yard setback to Street A

  • reduce rear yard setback and secondary means of egress

  • permit amenity area in an unconsolidated form

  • permit tandem parking and reduced driveway length for a townhouse unit

  • increase maximum lot coverage

  • increase maximum density

  • Special Provisions for 2nd zone "Block 14"

  • reduced front yard setback

  • reduced secondary means of access

  • permit tandem parking and reduce driveway length for a townhouse unit

  • increase maximum lot coverage

  • eliminate maximum gross floor area

  • Special Provisions for 3rd zone

  • reduce minimum lot area

  • reduce minimum lot frontage

  • reduced exterior side yard setback

  • reduced rear yard setback

  • increase maximum lot coverage

  • Hold to be lifted once owner provides a revised scoped Environmental Impact Study which adequately addresses any natural heritage features on site, including significant wildlife habitat and habitat of endangered species, to the satisfaction of the Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority and the City of Barrie

🏢 Official Plan and Zoning Bylaw Amendment – 290, 294, 298 and 302 Georgian Drive (Ward 1)

  • Staff Report:

  • Application submitted by MHBC Planning on behalf of TMD Atria Corp.

  • Official Plan Amendment:

  • redesignate a portion of the land from Residential to Environmental Protection Area

  • identify the residential portion as Defined Policy Area XX

  • allow for a 19-storey residential apartment building with a maximum density of 500 units per hectare on the property

  • Rezone from Residential Apartment Dwelling Second Density - 2 with Special Provisions (RA2-2, SP-499) to "Residential Apartment Dwelling Second Density - 2 with Special Provisions" (RA2-2, SP-XXX) and "Environmental Protection " (EP) Zone

  • Special Provisions:

  • reduce west interior side yard setback to an underground parking structure

  • reduced west interior side yard setback

  • reduced front yard setback to balconies

  • eliminate front yard setback to stairs

  • reduce front yard setback to underground parking structure

  • increase maximum lot coverage

  • eliminate landscape buffer along eastern interior side lot line

  • reduce landscape buffer along west interior side lot line

  • increase maximum gross floor area (GFA)

  • increased building height

  • reduce parking spaces per unit

  • permit 12 shared parking spaces to be used only for commercial uses and residential visitors

  • permit uses from the "General Commercial" (C4) Zone

  • increase density to 500 units per hectare

Section B

🗣🏢 Public Meeting – 34, 36, 38, 40, 44 & 50 Bradford Street (Ward 2)

🗣🏢 Public Meeting – 129 Collier Street (Ward 2)

Section C

🏘🏢 2021 Affordable Housing Monitoring Report and Affordable Housing Strategy Update

📝📄 General Committee Report

⚡️💡 Barrie Hydro Holdings Inc. Annual General Meeting Matters

📝📄 General Committee Report

Section A

Approved Unanimously

🏙📜 Downtown Barrie Business Association (BIA) Governance Bylaw and Related Documents

  • Staff Report:

  • Downtown Barrie BIA Constitution:

  • Downtown Barrie BIA Bylaws:

  • Authorize the City Clerk to present the draft Governance Bylaw (Appendix A of the Staff Report) to Council for consideration

  • This Governance Bylaw would bring the BIA governance more in line with the requirements of the Municipal Act, as well as clarify the roles and relationships between the BIA and City of Barrie

  • Direct the BIA Board to provide these mandatory governance documents (as per the Municipal Act and the Municipal Elections Act), to include the minimum provisions identified in the staff report, by the end of Q2, 2022 (June):

  • A Procedural Bylaw / Constitution

  • Policies with respect to the sale and other disposition of land, hiring of employees, and procurement of goods and services

  • A Records Retention and Disposition Policy

  • An Election-Related Resources Policy

  • Approve the BIA Constitution and Bylaws

  • Direct the Economic and Creative Development Department to develop an operational Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the BIA and City of Barrie to be presented to General Committee, addressing:

  • Role and services provided by the BIA, in alignment with the Municipal Act

  • the improvement, beautification and maintenance of municipally-owned lands within the BIA boundary not generally provided by the municipality

  • to promote the Business Improvement Area

  • Role and services provided by the City

  • Meridian Place programming, Special Events, and Meridian Place Storage Container

🌳🗺 Heritage Park Master Plan

🏗📊 Capital Project Status Report

✍️🧑‍⚖️ Temporary Delegation of Authority to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO)

  • Staff Report:

  • This motion essentially transfers (temporary) authority to the CAO during the "lame duck" period (the time between municipal election nominations closing and final voting day), as Council is prevented from taking certain actions during the election period.

  • Temporary authority includes:

  • Awarding or accepting contracts (purchase of goods, services, or construction from one or more selected suppliers/contractors) where Section 15 of the Procurement Bylaw would normally apply (subject to satisfaction of Director of Finance / Treasurer)

  • Adjust Capital Project Funding, if the adjustment is in the best interest of the Corporation and necessary for timing (subject to satisfaction of Director of Finance / Treasurer)

  • Authorize extensions in the period to start construction for a maximum of two years, for lands purchased from the City (subject to satisfaction of Director of Business Development and Director of Legal Services), under certain conditions

  • Waiving a right of repurchase for a property and removing any restrictions on title (subject to the satisfaction of the Director of Legal Services and Director of Business Development), under cirtain circumstances

  • Provide direction in regard to the conduct of litigation or potential litigation, including settlement if fair and reasonable and in best interest of the Corporation (in consultation with the appropriate General Manager and the Director of Legal Services)

  • Approve of negotiated agreements of purchase and sale or expropriation settlements (subject to satisfaction of Director of Legal Services) resulting from previous Council Direction that declared the property surplus or directed staff to acquire the property

  • Consider the report of an inquiry officer and approve or not approve a proposed expropriate or approve it with modifications

🚫🅿️ Parking Restrictions on Geddes Crescent

  • Direct Development Services to investigate the feasibility of implementing parking restrictions on Geddes Crescent, especially around the bend on the north end, and report back to General Committee

✈️💰 CFB Borden Request for Support for the 2022 Canadian Armed Forces Day and Air Show

  • Contribute $10,000 from the Tourism Reserve Fund for the Air Show

  • Waive rental fees for their use of the Southshore Community Centre (June 18-19)

Section B

Approved Unanimously

💉🚮 Needle Collection Kiosk Pilot Program – Additional Information

Section C

J.Harris & Morales declared conflicts as landlords

🚰🧾 Tenant Water Billing

  • Staff Report:

  • Discontinue the practice of permitting property owners to redirect a property's water and wastewater bill to a residential tenant, effective November 1, 2022

  • "Grandfather" water accounts directed to residential tenants as of October 31, 2022, so that the bills will continue to go to the tenant until the earlier of October 31, 2023 or the existing tenant vacates the property

  • Direct Finance and Access Barrie to develop and implement a communication strategy to advise property owners of the changes

  • Amendment by Harvey/McCann:

    • To delete the motion in its entirety and replace it with: 1 - That the staff report be received for information; 2 - That staff in the Finance Department include any proposed changes and account set-up fees as a part of the 2023 budget.

    • Amendment CARRIED [FOR: Kungl, Ward, Thomson, N.Harris, Harvey, McCann, Lehman; AGAINST: Riepma, Aylwin]

  • MOTION as amended, CARRIED [FOR: Kungl, Ward, Thomson, N.Harris, Harvey, McCann, Lehman; AGAINST: Riepma, Aylwin]

Section D

Approved Unanimously

📆🗓 Council Meeting Schedule

  • Move Standing Committee and Council meetings to Wednesdays at 7pm for the 2022-26 Council term

  • Remove this year's August Council meeting cycle, and the second meeting cycle in September

  • Direct Legislative and Court Services to investigate the feasibility of amalgamating General Committee and Planning Committee meetings and report back to General Committee at beginning of next term

Section E

📑💵 Economic Development Activity

  • Direct the Director of Economic and Creative Development to present to Council on June 27, 2022, and provide a memo within 60 days that details:

    • expectations for economic growth and housing affordability in 2022

    • business attraction / retention in 2022

    • areas where businesses have asked for assistance during the 2018-22 term

    • business prospects including successes, lessons learned and potential outcomes for 2022

    • Barrie's competitive advantages and disadvantages provided through business feedback

    • methodology that Barrie uses to build investor confidence

    • number of housing units approved in 2022 and the potential number of units to be built

    • rationale to why the number of units approved aren't all slated for construction

  • As noted last week: most of these items have already been the subject of recent staff reports, and/or discussed in Council meetings. Furthermore, the time required to produce such a report would take away from the work staff could be putting towards all these issues, to re-provide information already available to Council and everyone else.

  • Motion CARRIED [FOR: Kungl, Thomson, Harvey, J.Harris, Morales, McCann; AGAINST: Riepma, Aylwin, Ward; Unknown: N.Harris, although Lehman said motion carried narrowly, so perhaps she voted against?]

Section F

Harvey declared conflict

👮🦹 Barrie Police Services Board - Pan Handling and Criminal Activity

  • 1. That the Barrie Police Service be requested to present an implementation framework to City Council outlining how they are going to carry out their legislated responsibility to meet the objectives of the provincially-legislated City of Barrie Community Safety and Well-Being Plan, and continued collaboration efforts with all service partners to support those experiencing mental health crisis, addiction and homelessness.

  • 2. That as part of their 2023 Budget, the Barrie Police Services Board present Council with a budget inclusive of the full complement of members required to support the Community and Safety Well-Being Plan and implementation of the Barrie Police Service Strategic Plan.

  • 3. That correspondence be sent to the Ontario Provincial Police requesting them to continue their efforts to address the safety of the Highway 400 ramps.

  • 4. That correspondence be sent to the Provincial Government and local MPPs requesting them to make increased investment in resourcing social service agencies, and continue the collaboration on the improvement work of improving discharge planning from provincial institutions, such as hospitals, correctional institutes and mental health facilities a priority.

  • 5. That correspondence be sent to the Federal and Provincial governments requesting them to make significant investments in housing for low-income individuals and families to address the current housing and homelessness crisis.

  • 6. That correspondence be sent to local MPPs, the Minister of Children, Community and Social Services, and the Premier in support of immediately raising Ontario Works (OW) and Ontario Disability Support (ODSP) social assistance rates above the poverty line

  • 7. That staff investigate the feasibility of a pilot program to retain outreach workers and/or social workers and consult with the Simcoe County Alliance to End Homelessness (Barrie Chapter) to assist people experiencing homelessness and living in poverty to connect to services and to act as a resource for downtown residents and businesses and report back to General Committee

  • As stated last week, we had many issues with the original item of discussion – for more details, and actions you can take, please visit

  • We have mixed reaction to the new motion:

    • Items 1-3 continue to put police in the lead of working with those experiencing mental health crisis, addiction and homelessness, which is unacceptable – making this a police issue continues to criminalize people experiencing these crises, instead of helping them access the resources they need

    • Item 2 seems to be setting up an even bigger "ask" for the Police Budget next year, instead of allocating these funds to the organizations that can deal with the root causes of mental health crisis, addiction and homelessness.

    • Item 3, as Ward stated last week, runs the risk of it appearing as if the City is asking the OPP to evict the encampments near the highway.

    • Item 4 is problematic, as it continues the trope of blaming the City's poverty and homelessness issues on prison discharges. The request for the Province to make increased investment in resourcing social service agencies is a good one, don't get us wrong – but the trope and the item as a whole fails to understand that not everyone experiencing poverty and homelessness in Barrie has been discharged from one of these institutions.

    • Items 5 & 6 – the correspondence to the Provincial and Federal Governments – are both excellent "asks", and we agree that these governments should be pressured to do more in these areas, especially raising social assistance rates above the poverty line. Our concern is that these requests once again seem to kick the can up the hill, instead of taking concrete action on a municipal level as well.

    • Item 7 is excellent – and an example of an action the City can take – and we fully support this item with no reservations. (Although we had thought that this was supposed to be city-wide, not just downtown.)

  • AMENDMENT #1 by Aylwin/N.Harris:

    • That paragraph 3 be replaced with the following: That correspondence be sent to the OPP requesting them to connect with outreach workers in Barrie to follow up with the needs of citizens staying within encampments along the Highway 400 ramps in order to address safety concerns as they arise, and that a compassionate approach be taken in supporting people in these areas

    • Amendment CARRIES [FOR: Riepma, Aylwin, Kungl, Ward, Thomson, N.Harris, J.Harris, McCann; AGAINST: Morales]

  • AMENDMENT #2 by Aylwin/N.Harris:

    • That paragraph 8 be added: That the Operations Department investigate the provision of waste collection bins, and/or the servicing of waste collection zones near informal encampment sites, to prevent the accumulation of debris and to reduce fire risk, and that the locations be identified in consultation with the Simcoe County Alliance to End Homelessness Barrie Chapter and Enforcement Services and report back to General Committee

    • Amendment CARRIES unanimously, by all voting

  • MOTION as amended CARRIED unanimously

📜📜 Bylaws

Bill 051 – 970 Mapleview: Releasing lots from Registered Plan of Subdivision

Bill 052 – Zoning Bylaw Amendment: 108, 116 & 122 Harvie Road (Ward 6)

Bill 053 – Expropriation: 918 Veteran's Drive

Bill 054 – Zoning Bylaw Amendment: 953 Mapleview Drive East

Bill 055 – Confirmation Bylaw


Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page